f77 performance

mikem at uwstat.UUCP mikem at uwstat.UUCP
Sat Dec 1 00:45:42 AEST 1984

> 	 A user on our VAX-11/780 are running performance-tests on
> 	 different machines. The program is aprox. 7000 lines of
> 	 FORTRAN. The performance on the 780 is only 0.75 of a 750
> 	 running VMS. The comparison was done between computer-bound
> 	 parts of the program. When it comes to I/O it's even worse.

I don't know about the i-o, but compute times could easily be like this
if one machine had a Floating Point Unit and the other did not.  My
limited timings indicate that with FPA units, a 750 and 780 are about
equivalent on floating point intensive code.

--

Mike Meyer --  Phone (608) 262-1157

EASY ARPA:	mikem at statistics
CORRECT ARPA:	mikem at wisc-stat.arpa
UUCP	...!{allegra,ihnp4,seismo,ucbvax,
	     pyr_chi,heurikon,uwm-evax}!uwvax!uwstat!mikem