Tartan C compiler

jqj at cornell.UUCP jqj at cornell.UUCP
Thu Dec 13 23:29:29 AEST 1984

From: jqj (J Q Johnson)

Tartan labs recently announced an optimizing C compiler that is "plug
compatible" with PCC, but that generates code which is substantially
smaller and substantially faster.  Has anyone had experience with this
compiler yet?

I wonder what would happen if I bought the compiler and went around
recompiling everything in sight (on site?) on my 4.2BSD system.  Could
I, for example, successfully use it to build a (presumably much faster)
Unix kernel?  How much total performance improvement would I see?  How
many K new bugs would be introduced?

	jqj at cornell.arpa
	jqj at crnlcs.bitnet
	cornell!jqj	(Usenet/UUCP)