Access to kmem - System namelist - 'ps' etc

jim at haring.UUCP jim at haring.UUCP
Wed Dec 5 16:07:33 AEST 1984

	>3.	Ps would run a lot faster not having to pick its way through the
	>	symbol table of /unix.

A long time ago on V7 I changed 'ps' to only read the name list once on boot,
then store the useful stuff in a file somewhere. It only then needs to check
that the file exists and do a stat on /(vm)unix to tell whether it really
needs to plow through the namelist once more. I'm sure a lot of others did the
same; I notice the most recent version of the 4.2BSD 'ps' from Berkeley does
it.

Jim McKie    Centrum voor Wiskunde en Informatica, Amsterdam    mcvax!jim