Shared Code under UNIX System V

ron at brl-tgr.ARPA ron at brl-tgr.ARPA
Thu Dec 20 03:37:00 AEST 1984

> > Does anyone have any information on techniques of sharing code between
> > processes in UNIX System V?
>
> This puzzles me.  The obvious way to share code is to make a separate
> process out of that code.  ld -n and -i format code IS shared.

I think what he is after is shared libraries.  Even though shared text
segments occurs in most UNICES, many programs contain a substantial
number of library routines that are common to programs that are not
loaded from the same disk file.  Other operating systems have provision
to keep library routines in memory so only one copy exists even though
their may be many different programs using them.

-Ron