Oops, tbuf errors again

rbbb at RICE.ARPA rbbb at RICE.ARPA
Sun Dec 16 19:36:41 AEST 1984

My office-mate says that we replaced the L003 module, not the L001 module.

He also says (in his dogmatic way) that several boards can cause that
problem, since (in general) timing errors often show up in the tbuf.  So I
don't really know - I still think (unless someone will step forward and
say, "no, we did that, and things got worse for us") that the best route
is to get the PCS, and always run with the latest microcode.  Failing
that, try to convince your service droid to replace that board, and maybe
others (we used the line, "look, if you say that board is fine, then how
does it harm YOU to trade it for another working board?").

It is also possible that DEC came up with the microcode patches so that
they could use the crufty boards, and perhaps board-swapping will no
longer work so well (since you might get a crufty board).

I'm tired of so many bogus hardware rumours and so much third-hand hearsay
floating around on the net, and I'm sorry that I was wrong on that other
message.

drc