Divisions of net.unix*

Gordon A. Moffett gam at amdahl.UUCP
Mon Dec 31 19:00:42 AEST 1984

Net.unix and net.unix-wizards are heavily used newsgroups covering
a large number of topics (despite the fact it is all about "unix").

Every once in a while, I propose spliting it into smaller, more
sensible pieces by creating new subgroups of net.unix.  The
problem is that this idea has not received wide-ranging support
(perhaps due to apathy, or lack of audience) and nothing comes of it.

Well, I'm back again.

Also, the possibility of net.unix.politics has arrisen, something
I never though of before.  Interesting, no?

But anyway, here's the general idea:

	net.unix.shell		shells (sh, csh, ksh, etc..)
	net.unix.sys		stuff in Section 2
	net.unix.dev		device drivers
	net.unix.libc		C library (section 3)

Maybe you have some ideas.  In any case, this is something I think
needs to be done, and I like to get some concensus on how to go about
it.

READ THIS, TOO:  I am posting this to the net.unix* groups because
some input from its readers is needed and they don't all read
net.news.group.

PLEASE DO NO POST FOLLOWUP ARTICLES TO THE NET.UNIX* GROUPS!
You can edit the "Newsgroups: " line in your follow up.  The
discussion of this matter is intended to go in net.news.groups.
--
Gordon A. Moffett		...!{ihnp4,hplabs,sun}!amdahl!gam

37 22'50" N / 121 59'12" W	[ This is just me talking. ]