before the flames start...

Jack Jansen jack at vu44.UUCP
Sun Dec 30 23:19:22 AEST 1984

> ... What do we consider the established purpose of
> this list to be?  Is it to discuss "political" issues, technical issues,
> or both?
I think that you can't avoid political (or, probably better,
phylosophical) issues.
If I would ask how to integrate support for RSX-11 file systems
in the kernel, I can be sure that 99.9% of the discussion would
center around the fact that it is *wrong* to do this, on historical,
phylosophical, ethical, moral and other grounds.
I think that this is right, too.
Simple things like bug fixes, etc. are handled in net.bugs.*,
and this group can have a much vaguer type of traffic.

Of course, discussing the sales policy of ATT isn't one of the
items this group was created for, but the amount of traffic on it
seems to indicate that there is a fair amount of interest in it
among the unix-wizard readers.

I think that splitting the group into a pure technical and a
more phylosophical group is undesirable, for the reason stated above,
being that technical discussions tend to become phylosophical
after a while.
--
	Jack Jansen, {seismo|philabs|decvax}!mcvax!vu44!jack
	or				       ...!vu44!htsa!jack