VM/370 Security (and performance)

rcd at opus.UUCP rcd at opus.UUCP
Wed Dec 19 16:08:18 AEST 1984

> > I'm grateful to the colleague who finally gave the most reasonable
> > explanation of VM to me:  IBM couldn't figure out how to build a multi-user
> > shared system, so they found something that would let single-user systems
> > battle it out in a machine.
>
> The way I heard it, VM came into being to fill a need within IBM:

OK, OK--I (>>) was being just a teeeeeny bit facetious, and somewhat
unfair, too.  Specifically, VM was not developed within IBM, though I
suppose they should get credit for eventually coming around to making it a
product.
--
Dick Dunn	{hao,ucbvax,allegra}!nbires!rcd		(303)444-5710 x3086
   ...Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile.