UNIX trademark

Stephen Frede stephenf at elecvax.OZ
Tue Dec 4 06:23:18 AEST 1984

All the semi-official stuff I have seen from AT&T say that "UNIX is an
unregistered trademark of AT&T..." . What exactly do they mean by
"unregistered"? I have seen several times the statement that it is
inappropriate to use the (T) symbol in connection with "UNIX" and yet I
have seen AT&T ads which use this symbol.
	Does the fact that "UNIX" is "unregistered" mean "well guys, we'd
really appreciate it if you don't use this word inappropriately, but we
havn't registered it so we can't really do a thing about it ..." or does
"unregistered" have some obscure meaning to American lawyers.
	Surely a name must be registered before it can be subject to
international copyright agreements (I live in Australia).
	Now I personally would be happier if "UNIX" was a genuine trademark
of AT&T. But is it?

					...decvax!mulga!stephenf:elecvax

Then there's the rumour that UNIX is a registered trademark ... of a Japanese
tape-recorder.