C Optimization

G.R.Tomasevich grt at twitch.UUCP
Fri Dec 28 07:56:15 AEST 1984

It seems to me that C was designed so that optimization would not really
be necessary.  One ought to be able to write code that cannot be optimized
any better by the compiler, aside from possible register usage details.
One can use register variables efficiently.  The current C optimization,
which eliminates extraneous machine jumps, ought to be enough.  Why break a
compiler which is straightforward now and is relatively close to the machine?
If you really want speed, use the assembler.

My past experience with FORTRAN H was that programs did not optimize much
if the code was written cleanly in the first place.

--
	George Tomasevich, ihnp4!{twitch|spastic}!grt
	AT&T Bell Laboratories, Holmdel, NJ