raw rumour: VAX 8600 & Ultrix

Steve Grandi grandi at noao.UUCP
Mon Dec 3 08:49:28 AEST 1984

> >   Rumour of unknown quality:  DEC won't have Ultrix running on the VAX
> > 8600 for at least 1 year.  Can anyone comment on this?  What about the
> > supposedly standard VAX architechture?
>
> My understanding -- not speaking officially, you understand -- is 6 months
> to availability.  (The architecture is standard and Ultrix-32 will run on
> it.)
> --
> Fred Avolio, DEC -- U{LTR,N}IX Support

Since the 8600 is being sold initially ONLY as a package with VAXcluster
hardware (a HSC50 that talks to RA disks and TA78 tapes), DEC will have to
write drivers and such for this hardware before Ultrix will be usable.
You could run an 8600 with traditional massbuss and unibus disks and
tapes, but DEC isn't selling them that way for a while.

Forced to learn VMS for our 8600----
--
Steve Grandi, National Optical Astronomy Observatories, Tucson, AZ
UUCP:	{allegra,arizona,astrovax,decvax,hao,ihnp4,seismo,lbl-csam} !noao!grandi