UNIX trademark (UNOS note)

John Woods john at x.UUCP
Thu Dec 13 04:53:11 AEST 1984

> I believe that UNOS [ ... ] are UNIX lookalikes not derived from AT&T code.

I like to call UNOS a "UNIX think-alike".  It was build from the ground up
as a brand-new operating system, designed by someone who liked the basic
UNIX philosophy but who also wanted to correct what he regarded as some flaws.

Recently, selling UNIX has become Marketing's idea of a good time, so UNOS has
started growing the features of UNIX which weren't put in to begin with, and
has had the canonical UNIX bugs put in, too (our Jread() call, for instance,
when interrupted will tell you how many characters were transferred--a topic
brought up in an earlier message).

UNOS was born without UNIX source code, and the kernel extensions for UNIX
compatibility were done without resorting to the source code (frequently, a
5-line C program to exercise a feature is faster than flipping through
source!-).  However, when we ported the UNIX tools, we went from AT&T code,
for obvious reasons.  (Rewriting UUCP, no matter now needful, is not my idea
of a good time!-)

[ The above statements do not reflect any kind of official opinion of Charles
River Data Systems (home of the Frog), and probably imperfectly represent
only some of the opinions of one cranky (ex-UNIX and now) UNOS developer,
namely ]
--
John Woods, Charles River Data Systems, Framingham MA, (617) 626-1114
...!decvax!frog!john, ...!mit-eddie!jfw, jfw%mit-ccc at MIT-XX.ARPA

If your puppy goes off in the next room,
is it because of the explosive charge?		[y][n]