What irks me about Unix mail

root%bostonu.csnet at CSNET-RELAY.ARPA root%bostonu.csnet at CSNET-RELAY.ARPA
Mon Dec 10 00:53:39 AEST 1984

	If you mean that VAX MAIL under VMS using DECNET
	is more reliable in its routing it is because it
	encompasses a trivial network, what do you have?
	5 or 10 VMS/VAXes on a single simple spine or point-point?
	Anyone can solve networking as long as they limit
	the problem enough which is largely what decnet does.

	When you have hundreds, maybe thousands of nodes with
	no centralized administrative control (as you would
	need with decnet) the problem does indeed become a
	trade off of don't do it at all or do the best you
	can and get the bugs out over time. The extended
	UUCP link networks are indeed a major problem,
	address authentication is nearly impossible unless
	you had the entire network topology in your machine
	(a topology that seems to change every few minutes.)

	You are right, it should be fixed (that's easy to say.)
	However, if given the choice between no connectivity
	until it is perfect and most connectivity and some
	bugs I'll take the latter any day, even with some serious
	routing bugs.

	I think people that want wall-wall carpeted condos should
	stay away from the frontiers...it's not as safe out there.
	No one forces you do they?

			-Barry Shein, Boston University

Gee, I hope this makes it but i DID save a copy via ~e