Security, hackers, computer crime

Derek Andrew derek at sask.UUCP
Fri Dec 28 11:01:27 AEST 1984

> One of the weakest areas in the area of management selection is that of
> an individual's background.  DoD is one of the few agencies that actually
> has a decent background investigation--and for good reason.  But most
> companies are unwilling to do much of anything to determine the trust-
> worthiness of employees which, in a real sense, are sometimes given the
> most sensitive of corporate or personnel information.
>
> What can be done about this??  Sigh.  I think that the only way companies
> will change is to have losses, to wit. "take it in the shorts."

Just wanted to point out that companies are forbidden by law to do complete
background checks on people.  Things like Human Rights Commission in Canada
or the American Civil Liberties group would have a field day in court with
that!

In Canada, you cannot ask for a person's birthday unless they are under 20
(I think) or close to retirement age.  Sex is right out.  Some questions as
to previous employment are okay unless it was in a foreign country (race
discrimination).  I believe that the employer may ask for a social insurance
number (note the word employer is not prefixed by prospective).

I am not faulting human rights legislation, it is needed, but it sure gets
in the way of security screening.  By the way, people like DND (DoD) are
exempt from human rights legislation.
--
Derek Andrew, ACS, U of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon Saskatchewan, Canada, S7N 0W0
{ihnp4 | utah-cs | utcsrgv | alberta}!sask!derek  306-966-4820  0900-1630 CST