Automatic Nice'ing of Processes

mwm at ea.UUCP mwm at ea.UUCP
Wed Dec 19 04:51:00 AEST 1984

/***** ea:net.unix-wizards / ukma!sean /  6:47 pm  Dec 14, 1984 */
It seems to me a simple solution would be to remove re-niceing and write a
daemon to renice cpu hogs. The main advantage of this would be that you
would have complete control of what gets reniced.

Sean

Bingo. I've started one of these beasts already, having been inspired by
the VMS "thumper" that does just that. I think the correct name for the
thing is "external scheduler", and consider it as a replacement for the
long-term half of the Unix scheduler (on the off chance that Unix actually
has a long-term scheduler).

Should you have source (lucky devils), this approach is silly. You would
be better off rewriting the Unix scheduler. The daemon could be used to
testbed different versions of the scheduler under load, though.

	<mike