Decnet protocols?

Joe Kelsey joe at fluke.UUCP
Tue Dec 18 07:58:54 AEST 1984

> I don't know about 4.2bsd but I hear rumors that Ultrix32 will have
> it soon. (that is, if you run Ultrix32 you can talk decnet but
> DEC will likely not sell you source to the decnet code so you can
> stick it into your 4.2bsd kernel)
>  Phil Ngai (408) 749-5790

I just got back from DECUS and I can answer these questions:

1) DECnet support for Ultrix-32 will be announced in the Spring.  They
demonstrated it at DECUS and I talked extensively with the author about it.
It looks like a good product, although I would rather that VMS ran TCP/IP
better...

2) DEC will sell you Ultrix sources fro about $7500.  This is under the
standard source poicy which means you can use it internally, but not
externally.  If you have DECnet on Ultrix, why bother porting it to 4.2
(re-inventing the wheel?)  Of course, you are free to do whatever you want
with it as long as you don't give it to anyone else.  This is the same as
the current AT&T licenses.

/Joe