Access to kmem - System namelist - '

jab at uokvax.UUCP jab at uokvax.UUCP
Tue Dec 18 15:11:00 AEST 1984

/***** uokvax:net.unix-wizar / fortune!olson / 11:54 pm  Dec  1, 1984 */
At Fortune Systems, we took a somewhat different approach.  What we
did was to fix forever in low core the important variables (or
pointers thereto, in the case of tables such as the proc table.)
Yet another way (one that I don't happen to agree with) that one Unix
does it is to have a magic system call:
	getsyms(not its real name) returns the values of the addresses
	of the proc/inode/... tables.

I believe that people at the Purdue/ECN (where I first heard about this
kind of thing) realized a significant increase in speed when they wrote
"/dev/proc" and "/dev/inode" as specialized cases of the "/dev/kmem" code.

	Jeff Bowles
	Lisle, IL