Sendmail and the local network

Dave Cohrs dave at uwvax.UUCP
Sat Dec 1 13:06:43 AEST 1984

> 	it will be correctly formed at that machine for the local
> 	destination machine.
>
> 	The problem:
> 		the first line at the recieving machine will change
> 		(or recieve changed) the "From " line to be
> 			"From barto <date>"
> 		instead of
> 			"From <original sender> <date>"
> This looks like sendmail not being run suid root.

That's not the problem.  sendmail does *not* run suid root here.  I
run it sgid to protect the spool directory and access to spooled files,
but no suid.  More likely the config file is in an odd state which
causes the address to get remunged on the remote host.  The other
possibility is that the sending host is actually sending a silly address
in the 'MAIL FROM <>' SMTP transaction.  Run it with all it's debugging
on and check it out.  Something else....  Make sure that /bin/mail
thinks root is a trusted user (sendmail should also think root is trusted)
and make sure you started sendmail from /etc/rc as root.  If all this
still checks out, how about recompiling sendmail?

Also, I *never* have problems with sendmail losing things in its queue (some-
times I wish it WOULD lose that stuff).  Is there something wrong with
the protections on your mqueue directory?

--
(Bug?  What bug?  That's a feature!)

Dave Cohrs
...!{allegra,heurikon,ihnp4,seismo,uwm-evax}!uwvax!dave
dave at wisc-rsch.arpa