Automatic Paging/"More"ing

Kenneth Almquist ka at hou3c.UUCP
Fri Feb 3 04:16:15 AEST 1984

If we are going to have a discussion of the value of pagers people
should say a little about their hardware environment.  First, it
makes a great deal of difference what speed your terminal is set to.
At 1200 baud ^S/^Q work fine; at 9600 baud they are a lot harder to
use.  The number of lines of memory in your terminal also makes a
big difference, since with a decent amount of memory you can just
scroll backwards to look a something if it slips by.

Personally, I usually run at 1200 baud and have never used a terminal
with only 24 lines of memory.  I practically never use a paging
program (although I do use Emacs to look at files), and given my
current hardware I don't even view typing a space at the bottom of
every page acceptable, much less desireable.
				Kenneth Almquist

P.S.  I'm not sure I understand the bit about stuff running off the
screen while you aren't watching it.  You can type a ^S before any
output appears, and then later type ^Q to see if output is available
yet.  Alternatively, you can always redirect stuff to a file.  (I
know you can't ^Z a program and continue it with its output redirected
to a file; but the solution to that is probably to fix the job control
stuff so you can.)