4.1 Compatibility mode under 4.2BSD, Concurrent EUCLID port

Charlie Havener charlie at genrad.UUCP
Wed Feb 22 05:27:45 AEST 1984

( Sacrificial first line )

Using 4.1 Compatibility mode under 4.2 I was successful in getting
the Concurrent EUCLID compiler ( etc ) to run under 4.2 without
the compatibility mode on. Thanks to Guy Harris, Jay Lepreau
and especially Mark Mendell (Univ. of Toronto) and Mike Williams (Sweden! )
for responding to my plea for help over the net.

It seems that with 4.2 setup with compatibility mode on in the kernal
"most" everything will run, both old 4.1 programs and new 4.2 programs!
The disadvantage must be that the kernal is bigger (?). The general
idea is to recompile the source code with compatibilty mode on so that
the compiler still works, then the new freshly compiled program will
work under true 4.2 as well as 4.2 in compatibility mode. This proved
to be true for Concurrent EUCLID. The details follow:

Assuming you put the stuff on /usr... where U. of Toronto put them

1) run the MAKE command on /usr/src/celib/celibvxs to make a new
celibvxs.a library.
2) Now, go to /usr/lib/coneuc and copy the new celibvxs.a into this
directory. Next, be sure you link celibvxq.a to it also. That is, both
celibvxs.a and celibvxq.a are the same. ( This was important but I don't
know why )
3) All the .out files in /usr/lib/coneuc are the various passes of
the compiler which will work as long as you are in 4.1 compatibilty mode.
You will now go to /usr/src/coneuc and do the MAKE there as
'MAKE big', i.e. you must type 'MAKE big' not just 'MAKE'. This will
create on various subdirectories all the various .out files which
you can use to replace the old .out files in /usr/lib/coneuc
( or delete them if you are bold ). Copy the new ones from where
the MAKE left them, e.g. /usr/src/coneuc/scanparse.out back into
/usr/lib/coneuc. There are about half a dozen.
5) I recompiled the cec.c driver program too so it would work under 4.2.
Now go to /usr/test and try %cec test.e and see if it goes.

That's all folks.