small disk partitions

Phil Barrett plb at omsvax.UUCP
Thu Feb 16 12:21:48 AEST 1984

.<--- raid

I've seen a fare amount of info lately about partitioning
of big disks (for things like back up efficiency, etc) but
I haven't seen much about what people do with smaller disks.

How are people handling disks under 100M, 50M, 30M (to use
some arbitrary numbers)? Since its likely that we will be
supporting a fair numner of different disks, I am quite
interested in what others have done.

Here are my guesses as to reasonable, 'general purpose'
partitioning:

disk size	root	usr1	usr2	usr3
0-20 Mb		all 	-	-	-
20-40 Mb	5-10Mb	rest	-	-
40-80 Mb	10-15Mb	rest/2	rest/2 	-
80-120 Mb	10-20Mb	rest/3	rest/3	rest/3

rest means that which is left over after root is allocated.
ok,ok, make the first line "less than 20Mb". The usr
directory in the <20Mb case would actually reside in the
root partition.

I also realize that a user may have some special requirements
that would require larger (or smaller) partitions. One
which comes to mind is DBMS stuff.

Any comments? I will be glad to sumarize and post.

				Phil Barrett
				Intel Corp.
				hplabs!intelca!omsvax!plb
				tektronix!ogcvax!inteloa!omsvax!plb