Help wanted: using a HAYES SMARTMODEM on uucp

Anton J Aylward A/S azia at utzoo.UUCP
Sat Feb 25 05:25:55 AEST 1984

I am trying to use a HAYES smartmodem 1200 to form a link
to the uucp network.
I know my uucp works - even though this is only a binary
site (no, not utzoo, this is just an account I am using
since I cannot get either of my machines to talk to utzoo !)
because I can get my machines to talk to each other over the hardwired
link between them.

The smartmodem seems to smart.   Yes, I understand the manuals and can
get it to work OK of the second port on my terminal (which is what I
am using to type this..).   Getting uucp to use it is another
matter.

Henry Spencer of utzoo!henry fame suggested telling uucp that it actually
a hardwired line with a very long and involved login sequence.
He uses this on some of his modems.
Fine.   I will try it.   Perhaps in the mean time someone can suggest
something else.

Many thanks in advance.

A. Azia.