Disgusting kernel hack (really about stty's)

Robert Elz kre at mulga.SUN
Tue Feb 7 16:08:03 AEST 1984

I too have been considering making stty be a per process change.
(That is, after a TIOCSET[PN] (or TCSETA* for Sys III/V), the
process would have its own set of tty modes, independant of
those of its parent).

Modes would be inherited from parent to child.

There would need to be a new ioctl command, for processes like
stty and tset to use, but there's nothing remarkable in that.
(I would make the new commands the global ones, as there are only
a few programs that wish to do global changes, but many
whose changes are intended to be for this process only)
The definition of a "global" change, would be one that would
affect the process's parent's tty settings (and back up
the tree, to the point where some process did a "local" change).

I would make the entire set of terminal settable characteristics
act on a per-process basis, not just an isolated one or two.
That would be very hard to explain, etc, not at all "nice".

I too would appreciate comments, preferably by mail.

Robert Elz
decvax!mulga!kre		(kre at Berkeley works too)