Request for enlightenment re `rwhod'

jeff at fluke.UUCP jeff at fluke.UUCP
Sat Feb 25 04:16:58 AEST 1984

We recently upgraded from 4.1C to 4.2.  In the process,  the `rwho' program
seems to have broken.

We have a simple (Ethernet) network of four vaxes.  None of these machines
are exchanging rwho information with each other.  I think they should.

A comparison of the code between the two versions of /etc/rwhod shows a
considerable change in philosophy.  Under 4.1C, the daemon issued broadcast
packets once a minute; under 4.2 it appears to speak only to ``neighbors
directly connected via a hardware interface.''

I've poked around in /etc/rwhod and discovered that it now speaks only via
hardware interfaces of type IFF_BROADCAST|IFF_POINTOPOINT.  The ethernet
interface meets neither of these tests.

Could Someone Who Understands please enlighten me on what the underlying
philosophy is here?  Is rwho supposed to work among machines connected on a
simple LAN?  Why did rwhod change so drastically from 4.1C to 4.2?
Has anybody made it work for themselves?  What's the trick?

		Jeff Stearns     John Fluke Mfg. Co., Everett WA.  (206) 356-5064
		{uw-beaver,microsoft,sun,teltone,sb1,allegra,lbl-csam}!fluke!jeff
--
	Jeff Stearns       (206) 356-5064
	John Fluke Mfg. Co.