more startup time

Guy Harris guy at rlgvax.UUCP
Mon Feb 6 12:42:01 AEST 1984

> If you use tset to set the TERMCAP environment variable to the termcap
> entry for your terminal, no program will ever have to read a file to get it.
> This speeds up more, vi, emacs, etc quite a bit.  Look in tset(1) for
> the "-s" option.  I don't know if this works on Bell Unixes.

"tset" doesn't exist on vanilla Bell UNIXes, but the "termcap" supplied with
System V is the same "termcap" that comes with Berkeley systems, so you
can set TERMCAP.  Using "tset", if available, is preferable to getting a
copy of "/etc/termcap" and pulling the entry out of there, because if the
entry in "/etc/termcap" changes you want your entry to reflect it.

	Guy Harris
	{seismo,ihnp4,allegra}!rlgvax!guy