DVORAK ANSI Standard

Mark Horton mark at cbosgd.UUCP
Sat Feb 11 08:13:13 AEST 1984

	ANSI X4.22-1983, American National Standard for Office Machines and
	Supplies -- Alphanumeric Machines -- Alternate Kayboard Arrangement
	was approved 11/19/82 by ANSI.
No, I've got it here in front of me.  It's X4.23-1982.  X4.22 seems to be
concerned with typewriters, but X4.23 is more concerned with electronic
equipment.  They use different keyboards - 4.22 has no key between shift and Z.

X4.23 has a standard layout and several alternates.  One of the alternates
is for ASCII, and looks like this:

`   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   0   -   =

     Q   W   E   R   T   Y   I   O   U   P   \   [
     q   w   e   r   t   y   i   o   u   p   |   ]

      A   S   D   F   G   H   J   K   L   :   "   {
      a   s   d   f   g   h   j   k   l   ;   '   }

SH  >  Z   X   C   V   B   N   M   '   .   ?   SH
FT  <  z   x   c   v   b   n   m   ,   .   /   FT

Notice the omission of any nonprinting characters, such as tab, return,
control.  Notice what's where escape belongs.