Getting the most from 'more' - (nf)

rpw3 at fortune.UUCP rpw3 at fortune.UUCP
Wed Feb 8 19:06:08 AEST 1984

#R:sri-arpa:-1597000:fortune:11600062:000:968
fortune!rpw3    Feb  7 20:39:00 1984

Gary Samuelson comes close to a compromise when he suggests
more than two levels: kernel and user. We actually have more
than two levels now, as far as the way the user sees it: kernel,
shell, and user.

For the sake of evoking flames, let me suggest changing another
sacred UNIX object instead of the driver: The Shell!

Let the shell [if the user so chooses with the "stty" builtin :-) ]
fork its children with stdin/stdout being pipes to itself, and let the
shell handle paging. It's fast (already in memory), versatile (shell
escapes whenever you stop output, like 'more'), and convenient
(no "|p" to type). Problems with signals? Use pty's instead of pipes.
Need job control? No problem, start another command while the first
is frozen.

Gee... with a little more work we could add windows...

Rob Warnock

UUCP:	{sri-unix,amd70,hpda,harpo,ihnp4,allegra}!fortune!rpw3
DDD:	(415)595-8444
USPS:	Fortune Systems Corp, 101 Twin Dolphins Drive, Redwood City, CA 94065