Interfacing 4.1 and System 5 UUCP

ras at rayssd.UUCP ras at rayssd.UUCP
Tue Feb 14 07:22:32 AEST 1984

I am in the process of interfacing our system
(a 4.1 BSD VAX) with a stock System 5 VAX via
"uucp", and have noticed some incompatibilities
or differences in the protocol between System 5's "nuucp"
and what I have seen on V7 and 32V based systems,
and wondered if anyone could suggest what to change on
which end to get the machines talking.
	One difference we noted immediately is that the
slave machine, on startup, will answer with
	Shere=snowhit
instead of "Shere", and the obvious fixes on System 5's end
don't seem to get it much further.
	Does anyone have a list of OPERATIONAL differences
between System 5 and earlier systems, or some hidden options
deep within System 5's uucp for downward compatibility?  If
so, mailing them to me at the above adress would be appreciated,
and may save us from writing tapes and reaching a compromise
point the hard way.  Again, mail would be preferable, as I am
currently about 250KB behind in net.unix-wizards...

Thanks,

--
Ralph Shaw,		{allegra, decvax!brunix, ccieng5}!rayssd!ras
Raytheon Co,		 Submarine Signal Div., Portsmouth, RI