adding new fields to termcap

Mark Horton mark at cbosgd.UUCP
Wed Feb 1 04:12:26 AEST 1984

Caution - the master capability list uses "km" for the existence of a meta
key, both in terminfo and termcap.  (Also, smm (tc=mm) and rmm (tc=mo) turn
the meta key on and off, if the terminal can do this - the Ambassador can.)

Variable name		TI	TC
has_meta_key,		"km"	"km"	Has a meta key (shift, sets parity bit)
meta_off,		"rmm"	"mo"	Turn off "meta mode"
meta_on,		"smm"	"mm"	Turn on "meta mode" (8th bit)

While I don't really care what goes into termcap, there is upward compatibility
code in curses to handle termcap, and such code will understand km but not MT.
I caution against writing code that uses MT - it will eventually burn you.
The "km" capability is in System V (Release 2 and later) and also will
probably be in 4.3BSD.  (No, I can't easily change it to use MT instead, it's
too late.  System V Release 2 is out the door.)

	Mark