UNIX IPC Datagram Reliability under 4.2BSD

chris at umcp-cs.UUCP chris at umcp-cs.UUCP
Wed Feb 1 10:23:01 AEST 1984

I'm not sure if people understand what allegra!jdd (if I remember
correctly) was saying.

His point is that UNIX IPC datagrams, in AF_UNIX, on 4.2, *are*
reliable.  This is just a side-effect of the current implementation,
but they might have noted this in the manual, with something like:

"Oh by the way, it just so happens that right now, datagrams in
AF_UNIX are reliable.  This may change and we don't recommend that
anyone rely on this.  If you rely on this and it changes, that's
your tough luck."
--
In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Univ of MD Comp Sci
CSNet:	chris at umcp-cs		ARPA:	chris.umcp-cs at CSNet-Relay