Dvorak keyboard mapping

kfk at ccieng2.UUCP kfk at ccieng2.UUCP
Thu Feb 9 07:46:42 AEST 1984

----------
	From sri-unix!gwyn at brl-vld Thu Feb  2 17:31:08 1984
	Subject: Re:  Dvorak keyboard mapping

	Seems to me the "right" place for keyboard mapping is in the terminal
	keyboard logic.  Then you need no special arrangements at all in the
	operating system.
----------
Personally, I'd like to see a dvorak mode in the kernel.  There are, of
course, many problems with it, such as what happens to control keys in
general, since (as another person said) ^S/^Q have particular meanings for
such terminals as the VT100, and if you decide to have the control keys
go with the regular keys, what happens to ^Z, since I know of no terminals
which generate something called ^/ (Z and / trade places on dvorak key-
boards).  But putting it into the tty driver would make it available
in some form to all terminals, which I would like very much.  (My Concept
108 cannot be downloaded for a Dvorak mapping.)

Of course, those terminals which are downloadable for such things can be
very useful.  We also use Zentec 8001 terminals (sorry, if you were eating)
which we can download so that it interprets everything in dvorak positions,
including things like the Z-/ problem.  That's nice; pity that I don't
like any of the other functions of a Zentec.

P.S.  The comments contained herein on the subject of Zentecs are my own
and are in no way representative of my employer.
--
Karl Kleinpaste
...![ [seismo, allegra]!rochester!ritcv, rlgvax]!ccieng5!ccieng2!kfk