Suppressing messages from C shell

v.wales%ucla-locus at sri-unix.UUCP v.wales%ucla-locus at sri-unix.UUCP
Thu Feb 23 07:37:49 AEST 1984

From:            Rich Wales <v.wales at ucla-locus>

If you want to suppress the messages produced by the C shell when you
invoke something in the background, you should put the background com-
mand in a subshell (i.e., write parentheses around it) and redirect the
output of said subshell to "/dev/null".

For example, instead of saying this:

			    command &

say this:

		    (command &) >& /dev/null

Note that the "&" indicating a background process occurs INSIDE the
parentheses.  The symbol ">&" (in case there are any Bourne-shell users
who aren't familiar with it) causes both the standard output and the
error output to be redirected together to a file.

"command" in the above may include redirection of its own (">" or ">&"
variety).

-- Rich <v.wales at UCLA-LOCUS.ARPA>