V.2 Job Control

Donna Loveland PLBarrett at omsvax.UUCP
Wed Feb 1 02:16:16 AEST 1984

Well, a week or so has passed since UNIFORM (actually 11 days)
and as yet I've seen nothing about the new V.2 job control stuff.
Considering the reaction to the USENIX (oops, UNIFORM)
talk on the subject I thought the net would be crackling with
flames. (An aside, was I halucinating or were people REALLY
booing the presenter?)

Anyway, my questions:
	1) It looks like I'd have to decide in ADVANCE if I'm
	   going to use job control. Is this true? Tell me I'm
	   wrong. (All I have to go on is the talk and a document
	   that got passed around here.)

	2) Does the 'controlled' process (ie the one being 'suspended')
	   block on standard I/O or immediatly? I suspect it actually
	   writes to the virtual terminal and blocks when a c-list
	   some where fills up.

	3) You can't signal a process to tell it to 'repaint'
	   the screen with the V.2 JC stuff. Is there anyway to get
	   around that?

	4) The presenter (cant remember who) made the comment that
	   the Berkeley JC had severe problems with its definition.
	   I've never loved the implementation but isn't the problem
	   in the implementation rather than the definition?

	5) The comment was made (by the presenter) that his JC stuff
	   is a poor mans BLIT. Why then is it called job control when
	   it is more a primitive window manager (complete with virtual
	   ttys!!)?

Oh well, enough questions, I'm sure right now some one is honing up
their axe.