Line drawing/leaders with nroff

stevens at hsi.UUCP stevens at hsi.UUCP
Wed Feb 15 08:34:47 AEST 1984

I want to generate a horizontal motion of a 2-character string,
using nroff, as in the table of contents:

	title . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  page#

Using the line drawing feature (\l'Nc') restricts you to a single
character, and a line of periods right next to each other just
doesn't look that good.  I also have need for this using nroff to
generate local memos where we use a line of asterisks separated
by a space ("* * * * * * " etc.) to delimit the to/from/subject/date
from the actual body.  Again, using a 2-character pattern ("* ") just
looks better than a line of asterisks right next to each other.
I have also tried the leader feature, but it too restricts you to
a single character.  Anyone know a way around this ??  Thanks.

	Richard Stevens
	Health Systems International, New Haven, CT
	{ decvax | hao | seismo | sdcsvax } ! kpno ! hsi ! stevens
                                             ihnp4 ! hsi ! stevens