S5 single-user passwords

bob at SU-SHASTA.ARPA bob at SU-SHASTA.ARPA
Fri Jun 29 01:37:32 AEST 1984

When S5 enters single-user mode it gives you  a  root  shell,  no
questions  (or  passwords)  asked!  I solved this by changing the
"is"  entry  in  inittab,  usually  the  first  line,   to   read
"is:2:initdefault:"  to  put the system initially into multi-user
mode instead of single-user mode and and added the lines

          echo "Checking The File System"
          fsck < /dev/console 2>&1 > /dev/console

into my /etc/rc file at the start of the section that does  state
2 (multi-user) stuff. (One could even be more paranoid and create
a state 3 that would be the initial state that wouldn't have  the
fsck  and  whose  only  inittab entry would be "/bin/login root",
setting baud rates and such in /etc/rc). Thus unauthorized  users
could not even run fsck.

If the file system gets very corrupt I could boot off of my other
disk,  which  has  the  same  stuff.  One  would  have to take my
hardware apart to break in and I could put  an  encryption  algo-
rithm into my disk drivers.

Bob Toxen
Silicon Graphics
ucbvax!Shasta!olympus!bob