How many C dialects are there?

John B. Nagle jbn at wdl1.UUCP
Thu Jun 14 10:55:30 AEST 1984

    One problem with C is that there are not identified versions, such
as FORTRAN-77 or SMALLTALK-80.  But there sure are different versions of
the language.  At least the following are known to me, strictly from AT&T
Unix versions.

	The language understood by the PWB UNIX compiler, about 1976.
		(in which, for arrays, x = &x)
	The language understood by the V7 UNIX compiler, about 1979.
		(typing gets stronger, "short" appears, casts appear, etc.)
	The language understood by the System V UNIX compiler, about 1983.
		("unsigned char" appears, bit fields work)

I propose that we call these C-76, C-79, and C-83.  Are there others?