output redirection from a compat

Edward L. Lafferty ell at linus.UUCP
Thu Jun 7 22:29:28 AEST 1984

THe chess program supplied with Berkeley (4.1 and 4.2) runs as a pdp-11
compatibility package. Note the following behavior:

1. Run chess. Play a move like p-k4. then err with r-r4 and resign. You
will have received the error message "Illegal Move" and some formatting
characters 1.    ...... etc.

2. Then redirect the output thru a simple filter like cat.

chess |& cat -u

and do the same things. This time no error message, no format
characters and Oh,yes, the title "Chess" is held till the end. When you
resign, all the stacked output tumbles out.

I have tried many ways to overcome this with no success, including
trying piping from a C program. I have run the v7trc (trace compat) to
see what is happening and it looks like somehow the program is
determining that the output is redirected and holding on to some
messages. It runs properly under an emacs shell so I guess mpxio might
help.

Any ideas for an easy way to attach the (complete) output of chess to a
filter and get the error messages piped thru at the time they occur?

Thanx.
--Ed Lafferty <linus!ell>
	      <ell at mitre-b.arpa>