RA81 Problems

eric at aplvax.UUCP eric at aplvax.UUCP
Fri Jun 15 04:31:34 AEST 1984

	I remember this being discussed earlier, but not the answer.
We have a VAX 11/780 that has developed RA81 problems. The symptoms
are:

	1) Users start to hang
	2) RA81 goes offline
	3) RA81 comes back online after a couple of minutes
	4) Console prints out a soft error, a hard error,
	   a disk offline error, and then a SDI error - event 0353.

	The errors are happening on three different disk drives, in
random partitions, and random block numbers. DEC has replaced just about
every piece of hardware, and now wants to blame the software. Problem is,
the software worked fine for 6 months, and is still working on two other
systems. (BTW, we are running 4.1). DEC has brought up both VMS and
Ultrix, and both of those seem to work fine. I will gladly accept any
hints that anyone might have.

--
					eric
					...!seismo!umcp-cs!aplvax!eric