AT&T 3B2 system

brad at bradley.UUCP brad at bradley.UUCP
Sat Nov 24 16:16:00 AEST 1984

As I understand it, the floating point hardware will take away four
ports from the machine.  Whether or not it has hardware floating point
is now reason for it to be about 6 times slower than an IBM PC with no
8087.  I had the chance to see a 3b2 and it took over 18 minutes to run a simple
program while on the IBM it took 3:47 and 9 sec on my  11/73 and 6 sec on my
11/44.  If people are interested I can post the results.  I still think that
the 3b2 has a long way before it will fit into the market.

BTW: We also have an 11/40 with a 'C' compiler that didn't use the hardware
floating point on it (Version 6) and the 40 almost beat the 3b2.

Bradley Smith			UUCP: {cepu,ihnp4,noao,uiucdcs}!bradley!brad
Text Processing			ARPA: cepu!bradley!brad at UCLA-LOCUS
Bradley University		PH: (309) 676-7611 Ext. 446
Peoria, IL 61625