PC/IX

Guy Harris guy at rlgvax.UUCP
Fri Nov 30 17:07:22 AEST 1984

> There is VERY little in System III that has been left out of PC/IX
> (tar is the only "major" missing command, but is replaced by the ISC
> dump and restore)

ISC's dump and restore can't completely replace "tar".  Period.  *Nothing*
really can, given that not all UNIX machines which could transfer files
to your machine have "cpio" or some other file-bundler capable of bundling
entire directory trees.  What if I want to send a large directory full of
files via UUCP (if PC/IX doesn't have UUCP, this doesn't apply, but the
question "why doesn't it have UUCP" would come up) from a machine which
doesn't have "cpio" (a V7/BSD system with only a V7/32V license)?
The easiest way to do it is to build a "tar" file, ship the "tar" file
over, and un-"tar" it at the receiving end.  It's an *extremely* common
operation around here, and at other sites I've seen.  Just because the
machine doesn't have a tape drive doesn't mean "tar" is useless.

	Guy Harris
	{seismo,ihnp4,allegra}!rlgvax!guy