Invisible processes with ps (Xenix 1.03.xx)

Brandon Allbery bsa at ncoast.UUCP
Tue Nov 6 10:29:35 AEST 1984

I have been having problems with invisible processes under Xenix 1.03
for the past half year.  I'm posting to here to see if it's something
that came into Xenix from V7 or whether we've been victimized by MS again.

I've been using uid 214 for most of that time.  I had a large directory,
and use csh (the old one, standard with Xenix) with LOTS of aliases.
Somewhere in the past year, my processes stopped showing up under ps.
If I note the address of the process and use pstat -u, I can see what's
running, but if you ask me, that's ridiculous; ps should be able to tell.

I have tried moving my aliases and such to another account, and my processes
show there; I have not tried to move my whole file system, though.  I
*have* had my uid changed, twice; uid 150's processes showed only when
root was logged in at the same time (!) and uid 775 is acting the same
way uid 214 did.

Does anyone know what is causing this?

--bsa

(p.s. <group> bsa <=> [50,775] (my user/group); my directory is 5588
blocks total; and when we tested uid 214 on *another* system with only
a home directory for it, it didn't show processes there, while uid 217
(mine, with almost as full a directory as on !ncoast -- right now mine
is artificially full, I am patching inews for rn) *did* show.  I'm confused.)
--
  Brandon Allbery @ North Coast Xenix  |   the.world!ucbvax!decvax!cwruecmp!
6504 Chestnut Road, Independence, Ohio |       {atvax!}ncoast!{tdi1!}bsa