"tar" and non-8-bit byte machines

Scott Orshan sdo at u1100a.UUCP
Tue Nov 27 00:47:04 AEST 1984

The Sperry 1100 has 36 bit words and 9 bit bytes (quarter-words)
just like the S1.  When we make tar tapes we give the user the
option of specifying whether it is a Sperry-to-Sperry tape
or a normal tape.

The normal tape is a text tape - only the low order 8 bits
of each byte are stored.  It is transportable to a vax, etc.,
and can be read back on the 1100 as well.

The Sperry-to-Sperry tape uses the 9-to-8 bit packing scheme
to put 8 quarter words into 9 tape-bytes.  It allows a tape
to be made with binary files in it, but it can only be used on
another 1100 (or maybe an S1).
--

			Scott Orshan
			Bell Communications Research