Connecting lans (IBM & DEC)

lee at cosivax.UUCP lee at cosivax.UUCP
Sat Nov 10 02:13:45 AEST 1984

We are attempting to network all of our in-house machines, which
basically fit into two categories, DEC-like and IBM machines.  We
are installing Ethernet for the DEC type machines, a Vax 11/750
and several 68000 supermicros.  The IBM machines, 6 Series/1 minis,
have several networking possibilities, all of which use synchronous
protocols, sdlc, hdlc, or bisync.  All of our systems are running
Unix, and have an implementation of TCP/IP.

The big problem is interconnecting these two groups of machines.
Our current thinking is to use a DUP11 synchronous board on the
750 connected to one of the Series/1.  In looking through our 4.2
distribution, I am unable to find a driver for a DUP11.  Does anybody
have or know of such a driver?

I would be glad to hear other peoples experiences and/or suggestions
concerning this problem.  Please respond by mail, and I will summarize
on the net if there is enough interest.