4.2BSD: rwho and multiple networks

Bruce Freeman bjf at utcs.UUCP
Fri Nov 9 14:05:27 AEST 1984

We have two ethernets connected by a point-to-point link that we try to have
look like one big network. For mail and most most other daemons this is not
a problem but good old rwho insists on talking only on networks that are
directly connected to the host. We would like to have the sites on one
ethernet show up in rwho/ruptime output on the other ethernet. I have made
a first pass through the code and it is not intuitivly obvious that this
is easy to do. There is a cryptic comment that the flags field of the neighbour
structure could maybe forward stuff but I don't immediately see how. Has
anyone munged rwho to solve this problem? Any ideas on what the best way
is to accomplish this task? Thanks for any ideas or pointers offered.

I would like to avoid having to read a list of sites to broadcast stuff at
when rwho starts up if possible but this is starting to look more likely. Sigh.
--
Bruce Freeman	University of Toronto	{decvax|ihnp4|utzoo}!utcs!bjf