unix & real time -- is a rewritten UNIX still UNIX?

Geoff Kuenning geoff at desint.UUCP
Sun Nov 18 09:30:56 AEST 1984

In article <5727 at brl-tgr.ARPA> Doug Gwyn <gwyn at brl-tgr.ARPA> writes:

>Anyone doing real-time programming has to write some nitty-gritty stuff.
>My point was that it is no harder to do this on UNIX than on any other
>system (e.g., VMS).

Adding real-time support to VMS is precisely as hard as adding pipes to Unix--
it's already there.  As to adding real-time to Unix, see the comments by
Bill Shannon from Sun Microsystems about spl()'s.

The fact is that Unix is so bad at real-time performance that most micro-based
Unixes can't handle even *one* 9600-baud incoming data line, though even an
8080 has the power to handle two.
--

	Geoff Kuenning
	First Systems Corporation