UNIX trademark

Jeff Dean jeff at aids-unix
Thu Nov 22 09:33:36 AEST 1984

	What they *can* do under the law is prevent you from using "Unix" as a
	trademark for some other product that the average person might confuse
	with the Unix operating system.  And they can also require you to do
	anything they want if you sign an agreement to that effect (like a
	software license).  But the reporter for the Hobokin Herald doesn't
	have to waste half a column inch on "Unix is a trademark ..."

I think you've missed something here.  For AT&T to maintain
the Unix trademark, it is also necessary for them to ensure
that the name does not fall into "common usage" (I'm unsure
of the correct legal terminology).  If a trademark falls
into common usage, then the trademark owner can no longer
claim a right to the exclusive use of the trademark.  (There
are a number of example of product names that are no longer
valid trademarks; the best known of these is probably
"aspirin.")  AT&T has done an extremely good job of making
sure that people know that UNIX is a trademark.  It can
certainly be argued that they have been overly cautious,
but, from their point of view, that's probably desirable.