Request for summary of old discussion (shared libs)

"Jonathon Luers" 97320 jhl at tty3b.UUCP
Tue Nov 13 04:14:21 AEST 1984

[Is this line necessary?]

Several months (a year?) ago, when I had time to read unix-wizards
regularly, I remember there was a long-running discussion about
the merits of Shared Libraries.  As I recall, the idea was to keep
useful libraries (such as stdio, etc.) in core, to eliminate the
need to keep copies on disk in every object file that used them.
By some scheme, the image would be mapped at load time over the
global memory segment which contained the referenced routines.

Now, I don't want to resurrect a long-dead issue, but I was hoping
that someone out there might have archived the discussion, or
perhaps someone with total recall could replay some of the highlights
for me.  I'm more interested in general arguments than specific
implementations proposed.  In particular, I'm trying to remember
the problem with updates and multiple versions.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Jon Luers
AT&T Teletype Corp.
ihnp4!tty3b!jhl