Unix Bugs vs. VMS bugs

Spencer W. Thomas thomas at utah-gr.UUCP
Mon Nov 19 16:52:01 AEST 1984

In article <5870 at brl-tgr.ARPA> fouts at orville (Martin Fouts) writes:
>     In fact, with the amount of time we spend down because the system
>crashed due to some flakey UNIX bug,  I wonder how we get any work done at
>all.

Let me see, it looks like so far this month, our machine has been down
for a total of 1:20 because of crashes.  Looking at the log, most of
those were power failures, and one was a translation lookaside buffer
parity error (i.e., a hardware failure).  None (repeat NONE) were Unix
software failures.  I don't know what version of Unix you're running,
but I find our 4.2bsd (with many bugs fixed, admittedly), one of the
most stable operating systems I have ever used.  I have seen the machine
up continuously for 3 months (and then they do PM, so it gets taken
down).

=Spencer