Unix bugs vs. VMS bugs

Spencer W. Thomas thomas at utah-gr.UUCP
Wed Nov 21 03:26:11 AEST 1984

In article <5938 at brl-tgr.ARPA> Ron Natalie  <ron at BRL-TGR> writes:
>Gould meets all of the criteria you set with the exception that if you
>by their system today you get 4.1c.  4.2 will be available after the new
>year.  We've ordered their computers primarily since their performance beats
>the hell out of anything DEC offers and the price is lower.

Yep, I just went down to Ft Lauderdale to run some benchmarks on the
Gould 97/32.  I was mucho impressed with the speed.  I also got to run
on a pre-release version of their 4.2, and it seems to work, anyway.
Didn't try the virtual memory version, though.

Unfortunately for them, the new DEC 8600 comes in at about the same
performance, and about the same price.  We have decided that we probably
won't buy an "off brand" unless it offers significantly better
price/performance than a VAX.  This is to reduce the need for producing
multiple versions of software - currently, we can compile once and
distribute binaries (except the Suns, and they are always behind the
rest of the world here).  To offset this hassle, a competitor must
provide some definite advantage.  6 months ago, Gould had the advantage
- you couldn't get a VAX with that performance.  Now, it isn't true.

Sigh.

=Spencer