Csh confusion: #define HZ 100?

karl at osu-eddie.UUCP karl at osu-eddie.UUCP
Thu Nov 29 07:47:40 AEST 1984

From: karl (Karl Kleinpaste)

I'm seriously confused...

We have been doing some major  hacking on csh, particularly in the area
of  rewriting  the tcsh editor interface. (If you're  interested,  when
it's done, it'll  edit  in  either  vi or  emacs  style.)  However,  in
tracking down a core-dump bug which affects us only on our Suns, it was
discovered that that the symbol  HZ, defined in sh.local.h, is #defined
as 100. Now, obviously, HZ is the ac line frequency; why would it  ever
be 100? (Has Berkeley got some really strange power requirements?)

Two fortune cookies  to  the  person who  can  tell me why HZ should be
100...

Also, as I said, the core-dump bug only affects the Suns.  It has to do
with a modification made to periodically note who has logged in and out
by reading /etc/utmp.  Any thoughts on that subject would be nice, too.
--
>From the badly beaten keyboards of                       best address---+
him who speaks in _*_T_y_P_e_* _f-_O-_n-_T-_s...                                   |
Karl Kleinpaste @ Bell Labs, Columbus   614/860-5107  {cbosgd,ihnp4}!_c_b_r_m_a_!_k_k
                @ Ohio State University 614/422-0915    cbosgd!osu-eddie!karl